Places to visit in Kuwait City
An urban monument that symbolizes Kuwait’s progressive and economic renaissance as well as a World cultural and touristic landmark.
Distinctively positioned on the Arabian Gulf Road in the heart of Kuwait City
Designed by Swedish Engineers Sune Lindström and Malene Björn and built by Energoprojekt, a contracting company from Belgrade, Yugoslavia; the Kuwait Towers was officially inaugurated in 1st March 1979.
Coated with 55,000 Chinese steel paints of eight colors, the Kuwait Towers spheres combine a tranquilized harmony between both blue sea waters and the rising sky.
“Very nice place to visit”
Kuwait towers is nice place to visit where you have a great view of Kuwait city and beach.
Located in the heart of the city, the Grand Mosque is the biggest and the official Mosque of Kuwait.
The Grand mosque is internationally renowned for its Islamic architecture and it has become one of Kuwait’s most treasured landmarks. Indeed, the builders and designers have put a lot of effort in creating this mosque starting the project way back in 1979 and finally completing it seven years later in 1986.
“Amazing and wonderful. Don’t leave Kuwait without visiting”
Holy Family Cathedral Parish
Situated in Kuwait City, a short walk away from the shore of the Arabian Gulf, the Holy Family Cathedral rises tall and majestic, an impressive edifice of warm sandstone against the backdrop of clear blue waters.
The Cathedral, very modern and unique in its architecture, began to take shape in 1956 on land graciously allocated by H.H. The Amir, and the Government of Kuwait. January 27, 1957, was the day chosen for the laying of the first stone, and on March 16, 1961, the Cathedral was solemnly blessed and consecrated. Mindful of the peculiar circumstances in which the Catholics of Kuwait lived, namely, as transient residents, Bishop Stella decided to dedicate the Cathedral to ‘The Holy Family in the Desert’.
4 of 5 starsIt is rare sight to see churches in the middle east. The interiors are well done and holy mass occurs regularly in the church.
The Liberation Tower
It is the symbol of Kuwaiti liberation, the representation of country’s resurgence, second tallest tower in Kuwait, and the fifth tallest telecommunication tower in the world.
There are a total of 18 elevators, and are amongst the fastest in the world. As for the revolving mezzainine, there are six office floors spanning 12000 sqm above the revolving observatory level, that rise up and out within a section covered in aniodised aluminium, so as to withstand the extreme temperatures.
The tower includes a revolving restaurant and an observation platform, apart from radio and telecommunications offices.
Given the historical and monumental significance of this tower, visitors usually do not miss the opportunity to visit this destination during their travel to Kuwait.
The Scientific Center Kuwait
The Scientific Center of Kuwait, located in Salmiya, Kuwait, serves as a center for environmental education of the gulf region. KSC spans over 80,000 square meters with the building covering over 18,000 square meters. The center also houses the largest aquarium in the Middle East, holding over 100 different species of animals. Along with the aquarium, it also contains an IMAX theatre, a harbor of historic dhows, and a gift shop among other contents.
The Scientific Center, as it is locally referred to, is home to one of the largest aquariums in the Gulf region with the capacity of one of the tanks at 1.5 million liters. It also has coffee shops and a food court along with a walkway that shows the more scenic views of the coastline of Kuwait.
The Scientific Center has three main sections; Aquarium, Discovery Place and IMAX theater.
The Seif Palace
Built in 1896 by Sheikh Mubarak, the palace is a focal point of Kuwait city and it is considered as integral part of Kuwait’s city and its progress. The palace is also a wonderful example of Islamic architecture with original Islamic mosaic tile works. The overall area of the palace is 450000 sqm including an artificial lake, landing field for the helicopters and a dock for the yachts. After 3 years of its construction, Sheikh Mubarak decided to expand his palace by adding on another wing, which was constructed using the same architectural style. The building was completed by the end of 1910 and it became one of the most beautiful in Kuwait.
Kuwait National Assembly Building
The National Assembly is the main legislative power in Kuwait.
The Kuwaiti people were the first GCC people to elect a legislative council in 1938. It is the people who, immediately after independence in 1961, worked for establishing the foundations of the institutional rule. This way, the tribal society was transferred to the State’s society with its integrated political regime consisting of three powers: legislative, executive and judicial. Also, State of Kuwait is the first state in the Arabian Peninsula to have its own constitution and an elected national assembly which forms a strong pillar of democracy with all its dimensions and meanings.